2 indian doctors have spent 1 week in Rome to be trained on Bone Marrow Transplantation (BMT) by Prof. Guido Lucarelli (Cure Thalassemia scientific advisor) and Pietro Sodani (Cure Thalassemia co-founder and scientic coordinator):
- Dr. Shailesh Singi (Cure Thalassemia Chief Medical Program Director), now Chief of Department of Hematology at CARE Hospital.
- Dr Sharat Damodar (Cure Thalassemia scientific advisor), now Head, BMT Unit Narayana Hrudayalaya Multi speciality Hospital & Mazumdar Shaw Cancer Center in Bangalore.
They will be in charge of the Cure Thalassemia Narayana Hrudayalaya Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit in Hyderabad, under the guidance and supervision of Prof. Lucarelli and Dr. Sodani.
We also had an interesting dinner together with some friends who are helping Cure Thalassemia in different ways.
During the dinner we started to talk with Sharat Damodar (who works with Dr. Devi Shetty, the founder and CEO of Narayana Hrudayalaya) to sign another agreement to do research together, on these topics
- to improve the results of BMT from match donor
- to improve the results of BMT from mismatched donor
- lower the cost of BMT (like Narayana did for heart surgery)
- find other cures for thalassemia
- BMT for sickle cell
I'm very happy, this has been another important step for the Cure Thalassemia project!